Welcome to the Rose

One of Bastrop's most intriguing historical landmarks, the Rose Theatre was built in 1927 on the Courthouse Square as a venue for the traveling vaudeville shows and silent movies of the era.

Please have a look around our website and be sure to join us as we present our best season ever!

About the Rose Theatre


The History of the Rose Theatre

One of Bastrop's most intriguing historical landmarks, the Rose Theatre was built in 1927 on the Courthouse Square as a venue for the traveling vaudeville shows and silent movies of the era. The facility was later converted to a movie theater, but closed in the 1970's.

The Rose bloomed again in 1985, when its owners, the Goodwin family, donated the property to serve as a community theatre and home for the Cotton Country Players, a local amateur theatre group. At the family's request, the theatre retained the name Rose, after their beloved matriarch, Rose Goodwin. The Cotton Country Players and other community volunteers worked many long, hard hours to get the Rose back in shape. Recalls one, “When we opened the doors for the first time in 1985, it was like going into the twilight zone. It was dusty and musty, with ten years of accumulated grime everywhere.”

Their work advanced nonetheless, and the theatre reopened to the public in 1986 with a presentation of “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.” Many successful seasons have followed, filled with delightful community theatre performances, children's summer workshops, musical extravaganzas, and many more activities and events. The theatre's emphasis is on family entertainment and fun --- and providing a showcase for the many talented residents of the region.

Today, the Rose is filled with antiques and artwork typical of her heyday in the 1920's. The stage has been expanded, new carpet installed, and many modern comforts added for her guests. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987 --- a fitting tribute to the Rose and the community spirit that has made her a landmark in every way for Northeast Louisiana.